The Student News Site of Evangelical Christian School

Eagle's Eye

ECS Football Comes Up Short Against St.Georges

Robert Powell and Shea Carruth

Last Friday night, the ECS Eagles went head to head in an intense battle against St. Georges. The game was hosted by St. George’s at their field. Since St. Georges is our rivals, our boys were very pumped for the game and ready to play. Macon Mafia made the theme for the night hippy/70’s night so our student section was full of tie dye and bell bottoms. The game began in intense fashion as the eagles scored a touchdown early in the first quarter. But the gryphons punched back with the touchdown of their own. The fans knew early on that they were in for a game for the ages. As the game went on, the eagles and the gryphons were in a close battle as they each scored touchdowns back to back on multiple occasions. The game was very close the entire game, until the final buzzer. The eagles were down by a touchdown, and they were looking for answers on the offensive, as well as defensive end. It was the last five minutes of the game, and the game was super tight. Both teams knew that it was crunch time, and the fate of the game was determined by who wanted it more. In the crucial moments of the game, the eagles didn’t have an answer for St. Georges’ lethal passing game. With the lack of an experienced secondary, the eagles were hit with a rude awakening in the last five minutes of the game. Despite some of the crucial mistakes the eagles had on defense, they tried to make up for it on the offensive end. With the eagles down at the beginning of the fourth quarter, the eagles managed to climb there way back to keep it a close game, but the gryphons struck again to come up on top. In the final minute of the game, the eagles had the ball down by a touchdown. Senior quarterback Sumner Darlington led the eagles’ offense down the field with an impressive offensive series. It all came down to the last seconds of the game as the eagles were on the goal line. The fans were anxious to see who would come out on top, and the eagles’ sideline was in desperate need of a touchdown. As the eagles took their final snap, the crowd held their breaths as Sumner Darlington dropped back to pass. He began to scramble, and that scramble turned into a run for his life as he tried to evade the defensive players. All of a sudden, the whistle blew, and the game was over. The eagles were defeated in one of their best games of the year 42-35.