The Student News Site of Evangelical Christian School

Eagle's Eye

The 69th Emmys Was An Awards Show To Remember!

Robert Powell

The 69th annual Primetime Emmy Awards aired this Sunday night. Late night talk host Stephen Colbert hosted this highly anticipated awards show and kicked off with a musical number featuring  Anthony Anderson, some dancing handmaids, and even Chance the Rapper. After the spectacular musical number, Stephen Colbert proceeded to present his monologue to began the Emmy Awards. As most people know, Stephen Colbert is known to throw shade at President Donald Trump, and that’s what he did in his monologue as he threw multiple shots at the current president. But the most shocking surprise of the night happened when Stephen Colbert brought out former White House press secretary Sean Spicer. The audience was in disbelief, subtle laughter, and was filled with eye-popping faces. As the night went on, history was made at the 69th Emmy Awards. ‘Atlanta’ creator Donald Glover was the first African American to win Best Comedy Director for his episode ‘B.A.N.’ He also went on to win Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series. History was also made when ‘Master of None’ writer Lena Waithe was awarded as the first African American woman to win Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series. As the Emmys continued, Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series winner Sterling K. Brown was cut off of his acceptance speech. In the middle of Brown’s speech, they played loud instrumentation over him, cut his mic, and zoomed the camera out of his focus. The two biggest winners of the night were shows ‘Big Little Lies’ and ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ as they both came out with five winners each. HBO also came out on top as they had ten winners. Following behind HBO was NBC with six winners, Hulu with five winners, Netflix with four wins, and FX with two winners. The 69th Emmy Award didn’t disappoint as it was a night full of laughter, surprises, and TV magic.